Friday, May 24, 2013

Ham and Broccoli Orzo

Last night for dinner I made one of our favorite meals - Ham and Broccoli Orzo. 
I normally make this meal to take to friends and family after the birth of a new baby, but we eat it a lot too. It is a great hot dish that is easy and tasty.
Originated in a Quick Cooking magazine and has been adapted over the years by me. 

As James continues to try more people food I thought I might be able to give him this chopped up in the blender. (picture below - not sure why it is distorted - but you get the idea!) He loved it!


I thought I would share the recipe for anyone that is looking for a quick dinner some evening.
And for those of you that read my blog specifically for James photos/ videos - here is one of him enjoying the dinner.  He has taken to doing this little head shake/ dance when he is happy while eating...


I think he is saying, "oh yeah... oh yeah!... oh yeah!" while he is shaking it!


Ham and Broccoli Orzo

1 turkey ham (Jennie-o) cubed
1 bag of chopped frozen broccoli (or you can use fresh)
1 medium onion chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic (optional)
1-2 cups of orzo (cook per directions on box )
2 T butter
½ C parmesan cheese (shredded)
1 (8oz) carton of whipping cream

For a creamier sauce – I sometimes add 1 or 2 laughing cow cheese wedges

Sauté onion and broccoli in butter in a large frying pan until cooked.  Add ham and cook for a few minutes more. Cook orzo in a separate pot/ drain.  Amount depends on the ratio of noodles to ham/broccoli you want – really can’t go wrong!
Add whipping cream to ham/broccoli and simmer to thicken. Add laughing cow cheese if using.  Toss orzo in ham/broccoli and add cheese until just mixed.
Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools. 
I often make this ahead of time and then just re-heat for eating in the oven (350 for maybe 20-30 minutes) – though it is best fresh.  Makes great leftovers too.

Variations:
Original recipe (Springtime Penne Pasta) started with penne pasta and asparagus (recommended to use this recipe with leftover Easter ham). Ham and any green vegetable with a creamy sauce --- yummmm!

No comments:

Post a Comment